I want to thank all of the Middlebrook sixth graders who entered the story writing competition. The submissions were awesome, but there could only be one winner and that person has been notified by email.
For privacy reasons, I will not reveal the winner’s name here, but they will have a character named after them in my upcoming book (The Alexa Hill Chronicles) which is due to be published in Spring 2017.
I am thrilled to announce that the first draft of the new Kyle Evans book (the second book in the trilogy) is complete. All being well, this book should be ready for release by Thanksgiving 2016. In case this seems like a long time, here’s what has to happen between now and then:
For the text
- A first round of editing
- Early readers review the manuscript
- A second round of editing based on feedback from the early readers
- A third round of editing by an independent editor
- A final round of editing by me
- Production of a proof copy of the book
- Final approval of the book
For the illustrations
- Selecting which scenes might be illustrated (in conjunction with James Chapman – my brother and the book illustrator)
- Producing early sketches of 15-20 scenes
- Narrowing sketches down to 8-10 final scenes
- Producing and digitizing final illustrations
- Developing a cover concept for the book
- Producing an early version of the cover artwork
- Producing and digitizing the final cover
I have a sudden feeling that I better get started!
It’s been a while since I posted anything, so here’s a quick update on what’s been going on:
- The first draft of the second installment in the Kyle Evans trilogy is about 75% finished. My current plan is for the book to be available either by Christmas 2016, or by spring 2017.
- The Alexa Hill Chronicles (Volume 1) is currently being read by my team of advance readers. I’m not sure when this book will be ready for release.
- I had a great time presenting to the 6th graders of Middlebrook School last week. Three hundred kids and I wrote a story about a chipmunk stuck on a cruise ship with his grandpa and an 8th-grade bully.
- Our pet goldfish survived the annual “full” cleaning of its tank, but it was touch and go.
- I have been traveling a lot – most recently to London – and have several more trips coming up to LA, Denver and Chicago. Hopefully I will be able to use these flights to make more progress with Kyle, Bootles and Sofia!
- And finally, Kyle Evans and the Key to the Universe and Flicker continue to be available at amazon.com and other retailers, worldwide. Yes, I realize that’s not news, but I have to plug the books every now and then!
A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege of speaking to several 5th grade classes at Cider Mill School in Connecticut. It was a great experience – the kids were smart, funny and engaged. Next up, Midlebrook School 6th graders in May!
Many thanks to Tonja Drecker for her lovely review of Kyle Evans and the Key to the Universe. She describes it as an “action packed, alien adventure,” and ideally suited for “adventure fans who love a fantastical, wild ride.”
You can read the full review by clicking here: http://bookwormforkids.blogspot.de/2016/04/review-kyle-evans-and-key-to-universe.html
For me, one of the best things about being an author is meeting readers and talking with them about books, writing and creativity. That’s why I am thrilled to be speaking to the 5th grade at Cider Mill school on April 8th.
If you are a teacher or parent and are interested in having me visit your school / class, send me an email and we will see what can be arranged!
Thanks so much to everyone who came to my book signing in Wilton, CT. It was great to meet so many young readers (and their parents!), and I hope you all enjoy Kyle Evans and the Key to the Universe and Flicker!